2013 BAI - Finacle Global Banking Innovation Awards Winners Announced
BAI and Infosys announced the winners of the 2013 BAI – Finacle Global Banking Innovation Awards. Now in its third year, the prestigious global awards program recognizes innovation in the retail banking industry. This year’s winners received their awards at a special ceremony on November 5, 2013 at BAI Retail Delivery in Denver, Colo.
The winning financial services companies were chosen from more than 200 entries from over 30 countries for breakthrough innovations that positively impact customers. They were selected by the Innovation Circle Judging Panel, a distinguished international group of prominent industry thought-leaders and retail banking professionals. The following awards were presented:
- CaixaBank, located in Spain, and Hana Bank, located in South Korea, were honored as co-winners of the award for Product and Service Innovation. CaixaBank developed “SegurCaixa Auto,” a comprehensive auto insurance mobile application that allows easy access to travel assistance services (including geolocation), declaration loss due to an accident, policy information, traffic news, location of petrol stations and even reminders about where the insured vehicle is parked. “One Click Mortgage,” developed by Hana Bank, is Korea’s first fully online mortgage product, eliminating the need for applicants to visit branches. The platform includes five easy online steps; e-application, e-underwriting, e-signing, e-document and e-closing.
- The award for Channel Innovation was won by Alior Bank S.A., located in Poland, for their “Online Credit Process.” This unique channel provides a comprehensive online, paperless solution for purchase of a product or service on participating retailers’ sites from applying for and obtaining a loan to the payment of that loan, all in one process without logging off from the online store.
- The award for Innovation in Internal Process Improvement was won by ZUNO Bank, located in the Slovak Republic, for “ZUNO: The multi-country direct banking standardization in the CEE region.” This unique greenfield implementation of a direct bank utilizes a system that not only centralizes and standardizes all major processes, but that also supports the rapid growth of the number of users via a 24/7 operational model. Built from the ground up, the system has since been optimized to serve several countries through a single instance of applications, database and common infrastructure.
- Standard Bank of South Africa earned the Innovation in Societal and Community Impact Award for “Standard Bank-AccessBanking.” Designed specifically for the underbanked, this alternative, cost-effective ecosystem was created to support mobile acquisition and banking services in underserved communities, driving financial inclusion in the country. The ecosystem allows customers to make deposits, withdrawals and balance transfers at thousands of community-based retail outlets.
- The Disruptive Innovation in Banking Award was given to Hana Bank for “Hana N Wallet,” a new strategic payment platform that removes conventional concepts like account numbers by enabling customers to use their mobile number as their virtual account.
- Jibun Bank Corporation, located in Japan, was awarded an Honorable Mention for Disruptive Business Model for “Jibun Bank Apps for Smartphone” which provide full banking services through mobile devices. Created as a 50/50 joint venture between Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ and KDDI (the second largest mobile telecommunication operator in Japan), this lean and agile infrastructure with only 157 staff members supports more than 1.5 million mobile customers.
- CaixaBank was named the Most Innovative Bank of the Year Award in recognition of its ongoing creativity in delivering value to customers beyond the transaction and continuing to demonstrate innovative thinking and solutions around the customer experience and customer engagement.
Read the full press release.
(from left to right) Benjamí Puigdevall, General Manager Electronics Channels, CaixaBank, Chang Kyung-Hoon, Retail Business Department Head, Hana Bank, Dr. Jan Hendrik Kraus, General Manager, Group Strategy, Emirates NBD, Debbie Bianucci, President and CEO, BAI, Haragopal Mangipudi, Global Head-Finacle, Infosys, Aixa Manelli, CIO, Banco Itau Argentina, Han Jun-seong, Executive Vice President, Hana Financial Group, Chikara Nakamura, General Manager (IT Strategy Division), Jibun Bank Corporation, Javier Domingo, Online Banking Services Director, CaixaBank, Pere Nebot, Department Director IT-Information Systems “laCaixa”, CaixaBank, Audrey Mothupi, Head: Inclusive Banking, Personal and Business Banking, Standard Bank of South Africa, Yohei Suzuki, Manager (Product Development Division), Jibun Bank Corporation, Makoto Shibata, Principal Analyst (eBusiness and IT Initiatives Division), The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd.