2018 BAI Global Innovation Award Winner
Innovation in Marketing
DenizBank – Istanbul, Turkey
“Using YouTube’s device targeting feature, we created personalized advertisements to promote our new loan type.”
DenizBank used the specific device targeting feature of YouTube ads in a way that has never been done before. The bank used 18 different phone models (seven Apple models, 11 Samsung models) in every unboxing video. Viewers were surprised to see their own phone model coming out of an iPhone X box or a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 box. The host then informed people about DenizBank’s new Credit X loan created for people who want to buy smartphones.
In Turkey, 84 percent of the population owns a smartphone. This year is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, and both Samsung and Apple released very exciting new models. But because of taxes and exchange rates, smartphones are more expensive in Turkey than in any other country, and banks don’t have a specific solution for this problem.
DenizBank created a specific loan called Credit X for people who want to buy smartphones, and we realized that iPhone X is the most searched unboxing keyword ever on Google Trends. People watch these videos before they go and purchase a new phone. So, 18 different videos were shot to use as YouTube pre-rolls for the people who watch unboxing videos, ensuring a personalized experience for every mobile user who saw DenizBank’s ads.
The ads targeted people who watch unboxing videos on their mobile devices. For Apple users, seven different videos with seven different iPhone models were shot. The host opened an iPhone X box and whatever phone the audience uses is the phone model that came out of the box. DenizBank did the same for Samsung users with a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 box, shooting 11 videos with 11 different Samsung smartphones. At the end of the video, the host kindly invited them to renew their old-fashioned mobile devices and informed them about Credit X. This increased loan applications dramatically on a type of loan that didn’t even exist before.
- Our videos were watched more than 695,000 times and got more than 2.2 million impressions.
- More than 20,000 people reviewed Credit X’s website in less than two weeks.
- More than 6,500 people applied to Credit X. People used more than $2 million worth of loans via Credit X.
- During the two-week campaign, 13 percent of all personal loan applications were for Credit X.
- Zeki Bilsel, Advertising, Denizbank
- Gürhan Çam, Digital Banking & Innovation, DenizBank
- Aslı Mat Asılyazıcı, Digital Marketing, DenizBank
- Seçil Köksel Aykanat, Advertising, Denizbank
- Demet Hançer, Advertising, Denizbank
- Azra Tanrıverdi, Advertising, Denizbank
- Enes Konuk, Management, FCB RAM
- Utku Ergin, Creative, FCB RAM
- Bahadır Canberk, Creative, FCB RAM
November 24, 2017: iPhone X Turkey Release Date
December 5, 2017: Project Ideation and Development Date
December 6, 2017: Project Approved
December 9, 2017: Advertisement Videos Shot
December 21, 2017 – January 4, 2018: Advertisements Published
YouTube advertisements ran until January 4, 2018, while search advertisements ran until January 19, 2018.